Sunday, September 4, 2011

Justine's Xclusive interview in China

I saw this news from chinese baidu tieba: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/1197754628, and also from this link: http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_493b73bf0102dthw.html (The reporter's blog) it should be a recent interview one and different content from the video I've uploaded. But it's all in chinese, I try to translate it in my own super "powderful" English as clearly as possible and some maybe a direct translation of the chinese...do pardon me if you don't understand the content for some parts. Of course I'd wish that maybe some other English & Chinese-very-the-powerful ppl have already translated the content into a much much better and efficient English than me, so that I can just straight away copy & paste it here..oops!

------------------------------------The interview----------------------------------

Some people said that she is the god's gift from Belgium to the tennis world, there are some others who also said that in her own dictionary, there are no human sentiment (I translated from yahoo babelfish for this word), only win and loss. On the court, she had time and time again using her petite body to win those impossible victories from the big frame sized opponents and hence also termed as the "Comeback Kid" =P
A 7 time Grand Slams champion, Justine Henin announced her retirement from tennis, and made a came back in 2010 but in 2011, she made a decision to retire again due to injury.

A day before the start of the China Open, Justine was invited to China and although having a tight schedule, she gave her precious time for an interview to 《名人面对面》(direct translation->famous people face to face). I can see a lot of young fans shouting to her excitedly, :"We want you back!", I have also heard the legendary "铁血女皇" (I dunno how to translate this term->Iron Blood Queen? lit. meaning strong willed and tough lady I think) smiled and said:"People said that I am like a robot, but I am not, I just want to make myself stronger."

Reporter 许戈辉-(R),  Justine Henin-(JH)

R:I know you have established your own tennis academy called "6th Sense", this is an interesting name.

JH: Yes, because years ago, WTA gave me an award called "6th Sense player" award. To them, it is an award given to players who are unique, have the ability to achieve remarkable results and I also had no idea why they gave me this award because I am not so strong and tall and do not have that much of a talent. I think I can fulfill the criteria of this award is due to the attitude, the spirit. Think of it this way, when we are playing tennis, our goal is not to win the titles but to treat it like a way of living. I also often told the kids in my academics that attitude is the key to fulfill their dreams.

R: Compared to other players, your height may really not be of any advantage to you, has this caused you any problems before?

JH: Many people think that I am small sized and skinny and will never reach the top in tennis because I really am not tall enough. When I'm being thought of it this way by others, the more I would want to prove to them that I can do it. At that time, I met my coach. He kept on telling me that I can do the best, I can win, I can defeat the others and hence I built up my confidence. As for the physical part, I also have been training hard.

R: How many hours do you train a day?

JH: It is not easy to be calculated in hours. We may not spend a lot of time training on court but it would be 300% for the physical training part. I have to work hard because my body isn't strong enough to support myself. Sometimes I would cry due to tough training but I will always find some words to encourage myself. I believe, step by step, I will grow stronger mentally and I believe in myself that I can defeat those players physically stronger than me.

R: Compared to people of the same age, do you feel like you have lost anything during your growing up years?

JH: Of course I have. When I really spend some time thinking back of the past, I realized what had happened. When I was a teenager, I gave all my time to tennis, basically, I do not have any friends, I am very concentrated, I am living in my own world, and when you give all your concentration to one thing, you wouldn't consider a lot of problems in reality, this is a good thing. But when I step out of my own bubble, I realized that I may have really sacrificed a lot of things but I have no regrets. When I was younger, maybe due to stress, I need a very strong sense of security and stability and I got married at the age of 20 but got divorced later. From this back to reality, living a simple life is also no easy task. Sometimes it's really hard but I have no regrets. To be a top player is not easy and when you sacrifice other things to fulfill your dream, that is also a big achievement.

R: I believe the divorce has made a great impact on you. That year when you announced your retirement, is it because of the divorce?

JH: No, not that at all. I think all the experiences are positive, I always look on the bright side of life. In my marriage, I have many things that gave me a lot of strength but we chosen a different direction in life. I always am in a good relationship with him. The retirement was because I thought that I should leave when I was at the top, at No. 1. In 2007, I have gotten everything in awards and achievements and I also felt that this might not be what I wanted to live in life.

R: What are you looking forward to in life?

JH: At that time, time passed too fast, I felt that I have lost my control. Compared to money, trophies, the people who can share your joys and whom you loved, are more important. I wish to be closer to my family and friends. At 25 years old, we need a great courage to return to our inner self, I have no regrets over my decision, just like I have no regrets to return to the court after 18 months that's because I realized that I may not have really prepare myself to live a simple life.

R: During the 18 months of retirement, what have you done? How do you spend your time everyday?

JH: You need to stay away from your tennis racket, that is very tough because before that you're "spending" your whole life on it.  But at the same time, you also have the freedom to do what you want to do, eat what you want to eat. That is a simple, carefree lifestyle and the stress is small. This kind of lifestyle is very uniquely interesting. I can control my time, if I want to go on a holiday on the second day, to travel, to meet my friends, I can do it all and this is really great!

R: What are the differences between the life at that time compared to now?

JH: I had a different perspective of view for tennis. In 2008, when I stopped tennis, I was exhausted, mentally totally exhausted. I wanted to leave, I wanted to never hear about tennis, I do not want to watch tennis on TV and I wish my life would have no tennis anymore. This is very dangerous because you have not really prepared to leave it all. And then slowly, I started to watch tennis matches from the TV and I felt that I am still young and perhaps, this is not the end and so I decided to come back. When I came back, the feeling was very good but because of the injury I cannot compete anymore. At that time, I am very depressed but I think I should move on, to find a new life. I was depressed for weeks and after that I have been very rational. Looking back at my career, it was really great. I am a winner, I am more hardworking than the others and I also have my successes. During the 1st retirement, I am not happy at all, but now, I think I am more mature, more stable and more rational, perhaps it's also due to me getting older. I feel very happy and I am ready to live my new life.

R: I can strongly feel the change from your attitude towards life, it's been getting more relaxed and softer. Some of your fans told me that they have never seen you in fear of anything before, and also have never seen you cry before. The impression you have given them is of powerful, strong and even being cold.

JH: I can cry a lot. I am always trying to control my emotions in front of the others but I'm one who would cry. I am once a very anxious person who was afraid of many things. But I always try to control my emotions, always showing a brave front but now I have no control over myself and this is a good thing. For example if today I wanted to cry, I will cry. When the feelings and emotions came to me, I will let my emotions out. I can cry when watching TV, I can cry when I'm listening to music in the car and also cry in front of my family and friends. This to me is very important because in terms of feelings, people said that I am like a robot but I am not. Now I think I can prove to everyone that I am more open and am a lot different to what I am in the past. I am humorous, I like to laugh, and I am a very natural person, when I'm with people whom I trusted, I can talk a lot freely. There was once when I make myself very miserable, always thinking of the past but now I think, the past is the past. I should live the moment now and use a positive attitude to look forward to the future. I think I am still young and there's a lot of things to do. I can control my time, very relaxed. I can enjoy living with the people I loved and also let the joy fills my heart.
So my philosophy has changed, I have become more mature and also more open towards others. I am very much enjoying my life now and has done a lot of the things which i wanted to do. I travel to other places, in the past when I travel, it's always to the tennis club of the hotels, and no others. Now, I want to explore this world, I want to meet many people, to experience the different cultures and to learn more things, to have more life experiences.

R: Can you tell me what is the most important thing in your life now? I know in the past, it must be tennis.

JH: The most important thing now is definitely love. There are different kinds of love. I have my boyfriend, my friends, my family and those who gave me strength, the people whom I loved. Back to the time when I was young, back to my hometown, when I saw the people who grew up with me, all these things to me are very important. Those people who watched me growing up as a child and when I get to see them once more, I feel that I am who I am and this feeling is really very good.

R: Can you tell the young tennis players and your fans, what are the most required qualities that the best tennis player should possess?

JH: I think it is the passion, hard work and the pleasure. Passion is the first condition. Even if it's not for the championship, you should also have the passion.To have the dream is very important but what's more important is what you should do everyday to fulfill your dream, so I think to have the ambition is a good thing and also must be hardworking, here the more we should talk about the importance of attitude. It's not just about playing tennis, it is also to live with it, to breathe with it, to sleep with it and to dream with it. Everything has to be related to tennis. The third one would be to have the enjoyment in life. Sometimes it's difficult and sometimes you will cry but when you're playing tennis, you have to enjoy the fun in it, in training too, to enjoy the fun in it.
------------------------------------The End---------------------------------------

Wah, I didn't realize it's such a tedious thing to translate the Chinese to English word by word but I personally love this interview because she had talked more about her thinking now,. Juju, muacks! <3

And I also realize one thing----------------------------------------->My English SUX!

No comments:

Post a Comment